Extractions and healing
Unfortunately, sometimes we need to extract a tooth.
This could be due to:
- Deep decay making the tooth unrestorable
- Chronic infection in the root of the tooth
- Fracture of the tooth from a deep crack or trauma
- Gum disease and loss of supporting bone around the tooth due to infection
- Impacted teeth such as wisdom teeth
Chronic infections from the teeth are a big stressor on the immune system and should not be ignored as a contributor to ill health.
Our process at Lotus Dental
1. We extract the tooth as gently as possible
Our aim is to preserve the surrounding bone so that the tooth can be replaced later with an implant or bridge. We use local anaesthetic as well as nitrous oxide or intravenous sedation if desired.
2. We thoroughly clean the area to remove any infected bone or soft tissue
3. We apply medications to eliminate bacterial toxins
After cleaning we apply medications to eliminate the bacterial toxins that can accumulate around an infected tooth. This is an important factor for good healing of the bone and preventing osteonecrosis and cavitations in the bone which can sometimes cause neuralgic-type pain, which is very difficult to diagnose and treat later (sometimes known as NICO lesions).
Platelet Rich Fibrin / Plasma, produced from your own blood, is exceptionally rich in platelets and enhances healing and bone formation in the extraction socket.
This is particularly important where a lot of bone has been lost and we want to place an implant later to replace the missing tooth. About platelet Rich Fibrin / Plasma
Vitamins and herbal remedies can also enhance healing and help with postoperative pain.