Unfortunately, sometimes we need to extract a tooth.
This could be due to:
- Deep decay making the tooth unrestorable
- Chronic infection in the root of the tooth
- Fracture of the tooth from a deep crack or trauma
- Gum disease and loss of supporting bone around the tooth due to infection
- Impacted teeth such as wisdom teeth.
Chronic infections from the teeth are a big stressor on the immune system and should not be ignored as a contributor to ill-health.
Our process at Lotus Dental
1. We extract the tooth as gently as possible
Our aim is to preserve the surrounding bone so that the tooth can be replaced later with an implant or bridge if desired. We use local anaesthetic as well as nitrous oxide or intravenous sedation if desired.
2. We thoroughly clean the area to remove any infected bone or soft tissue
3. We apply medications to eliminate bacterial toxins
After cleaning we apply medications to eliminate the bacterial toxins that can accumulate around an infected tooth. This is an important factor for good healing of the bone and preventing osteonecrosis and cavitations in the bone, which can sometimes cause neuralgic-type pain and is difficult to diagnose and treat later (sometimes known as NICO lesions).
Platelet Rich Fibrin / Plasma
We use Platelet Rich Fibrin / Plasma produced from your own blood, which is rich in platelets.
This is relevant where a lot of bone has been lost and the patient may want an implant or bridge added later to replace the missing tooth.
*Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.