Every year thousands of people, including young children, are treated for dental injuries that could have been avoided or minimised by wearing a protective custom-fitted mouthguard. Sporting accidents are one of the most common causes of dental injury.
Why wear a mouthguard?
Damaged or dislodged teeth, broken jaws and cut lips can be sustained when participating in contact sports. A mouthguard helps absorb and spread the impact of a blow to the face that might otherwise result in an injury to the mouth or jaw.
Dental injuries may result in time off school or work to recover, can be painful and disfiguring, and may involve lengthy and expensive dental treatment. Plus – the likely cost of an injury to your teeth or jaw far exceeds the cost of a custom-fitted mouthguard.
Why buy custom-fitted mouthguards?
Mouthguards are not all created equal. Custom-fitted mouthguards provide a better fit than other varieties, as they are made to suit your individual needs. A custom-fitted mouthguard is:
- allows you to speak clearly
- provides maximum resistance against being dislodged
- won’t restrict breathing.
Over-the-counter (boil and bite) mouthguards generally don’t fit as well as a custom-fitted mouthguard and are less comfortable to wear, are thinner and offer less protection. They may be a short-term solution if there is no alternative available.
- Call us to make an appointment – our receptionists will be happy to talk to you about the process. At the first visit we also make a follow-up appointment for fitting.
- An impression of the mouth is made and send to our laboratory. Your custom mouthguard will arrive in 7-10 days.
- You collect your mouthguard and we check for a perfect fit.
Colours: Available in many colours and designs, and can be customised for you or or your team.
Cost: The cost of our mouthguards varies according to mouth size and the specific requirements of certain sports, so please call us to discuss your needs.